A popular explanation of why it’s worse to seem stupid than lazy is that lazy seems like more of a choice, so not permanent. Similarly it seems more admired and desired to have innate artistic talent than to try hard despite being less naturally good. Being unable to stand by and let a tragedy occur (‘I had no choice!’) is more virtuous than making a calm, reasoned decision to avoid a tragedy.
Other recent posts
- Strengthening the foundations under the Overton Window without moving it
- Person-moment affecting views
- Replacing expensive costly signals
- The Principled Intelligence Hypothesis
- Why everything might have taken so long
- Why did everything take so long?
- Rules of variety
- Multidimensional signaling
- Signal seeding
- Prosocial manipulation