People who believe that a certain group of other people deserve higher relative status often refuse to laugh at jokes about that group of people. Unfortunately (for them) this tends to make them look like uptight goody-goodies who don’t have a sense of humor; a group whom almost everyone agrees should have low status. Why not instead focus on making up more jokes about the group whose relative status seems too high? It seems like that should have the opposite effect on the campaigners likability, and so also encourage more people to join that side of the fight. What am I missing?
Other recent posts
- Strengthening the foundations under the Overton Window without moving it
- Person-moment affecting views
- Replacing expensive costly signals
- The Principled Intelligence Hypothesis
- Why everything might have taken so long
- Why did everything take so long?
- Rules of variety
- Multidimensional signaling
- Signal seeding
- Prosocial manipulation